
Some fun pictures from my very first gardening attempt. I planted everything during Spring Break, the second week in March.

We had zinnias, snap dragons (which never grew), carrots (but only got about 8 that grew), watermelon (it went crazy and was so fun to watch as it made its way up the hill), zucchini (which also just kept growing) and cherry tomatoes (I had 4 plants that grew into one big plant. Maybe I planted them too close...hmmm). After I pulled up the watermelon, zucchini and tomatoes the beginning of October, I planted some pumpkins. We had about 5 full grown by Thanksgiving.

It was a good experience of what to do and what not to do. The watermelons were never really very edible. The zucchini were taken over by aphids no matter how much I tried to get rid of them. The tomatoes produced so much and were so fun to harvest and share with everyone.
It is interesting how the longer growing season in El Paso can make such a difference. We will see what this next summer brings. Maybe we will try more flowers!

No comments:
Post a Comment