Friday, March 7, 2008

Some Things That I Have Realized About Myself

1. I don't like clutter. And I have realized why I don't like clutter. It stresses me out. The more stuff I have, the more that I have to take care of, clean, put away, and fix when it breaks. It all just adds more stress to my life.

2. I am not much of a leader. I really tend to follow the ideas, activities, likes and dislikes of whom ever I am around at that time (think of the movie Runaway Bride, and you can imagine my dating years). I think that I have been very blessed to have been raised by very religious and decent people, and so have become very religious and decent myself. I think that I could have ended up in trouble situations if I had not had the good examples of my family and friends.

3. My husband is my rock. Sometimes people may wonder how we get along so well, because we are soooo completely different. If anyone can make me laugh at any situation it is Miki. He never takes life too seriously. I think that it is because he knows what really truly matters and what life is really all about. So, why worry about all of the other things. My husband is also very good at bringing me back to reality instead of letting me worrying about all of the fluff that flies in and out of my life every day.
He encourages me to follow my interests. He will encourage me to do the things that are important to me, but he is also good at helping me figure out what those things are!
He will also help out around the house doing things that maybe other husbands don't like to do:gardening, painting, decorating, dusting (which I hate!), and organizing.
This might be one of the greatest things about me husband: He lets me sleep in any time he doesn't have work. He gets up with the kids and will sometimes surprise me with breakfast in bed even when it isn't a holiday!
Miki also loves to tease me, scare me, surprise me and tries to make our lives more spontaneous. So, maybe he isn't as romantic as he use to be when we were dating, but he is much more loving in the ways that really matter to me.

4. As my husband will state, I cry a lot! Over anything and everything. I have even been known to cry over Wheel of Fortune. I am a very empathetic person and I believe that I also become very empathetic and understanding to all sides of all situations. I don't hold grudges or judge people very much because I can so easily picture myself in their shoes.

5. If I find something good in my life, when I find "truth" in any of its forms, and when I find people that truly make me happy, I hold onto those things and friendships forever.

6. I am a very consistent person. I won't ever surprise you by anything I do (thus the reason Miki tries to get me to be more spontaneous). I am also very consistent with my parenting. If I have a rule, no matter how dumb it may seem, I stick by it. The kids know what they are getting with me. Even though it sometimes means more work for me to follow through with my rules each and every time, I do it. I like people to know that they can trust me and that I can trust myself.

7. Okay, this one has been kind of hard to admit in the past, but I will fess up now, that I am a sci-fi and fantasy nerd. I love sci-fi and fantasy books. I use to deny it when I was a kid because I wanted people to think I was cool. Now, I just don't care what anyone else thinks, but I won't deny who I am any longer!

8. I love being a mom. What a fun time in my life. It has taken me a little while to fully understand what being a mom is all about, and for me to fully embrace it. But I am truly loving the things that I learn from my girls. I try to enjoy every day with them because they are growing up so fast. I am not necessarily very good at being a mom, but I sure do love it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are pretty accurate, but also pretty hard on yourself. I think you are one of the most amazing people that I know. I often think, when I'm trying to get things accomplished, "How would Tovi do this?" It helps me get things straight in my mind. Love Mom

Christine said...

Way to go, posting all of that on a blog for the whole world to see! Maybe someday I will be that comfortable!

Kimberli said...

9. You are a great friend... very thoughtful and considerate of others. You have tended all of the neighborhood children several times. You are very unselfish and truely delight in serving people.

Karyn said...

Happy Birthday, Tovi!

Leah and James Bangert Family said...

I am so proud of you for being able to "come out" about your nerdiness. I had always known it but felt that it wasn't my place to point it out... teehee. I myself have realized in the last 5-10 years aspects of my own nerdiness, which also includes sci-fi and fantasy books. I guess you can't be the child of our father with out inheriting that...