Sadie had surgery on February 25th to remove her tonsils and adenoids. The poor thing has had huge tonsils her whole life. This has caused her to have sleep apnea, a constant runny nose and head cold, snoring and always breathing through her mouth. I have just been so sad that she doesn't get a good night's sleep. It has made her more irritable during the day, and when Sadie is upset it makes the whole family sad. I truly hope that this surgery will improve her sleep so that she can enjoy her days more.
I took her in for her surgery at 6:30 am on the 25th. We waited for two hours before going back to prep for the surgery. I let her wear her favorite Tinkerbell pjs, but the nurses needed her to change into these cute yellow hospital pjs. She threw a fit. She did not want to wear them because she said that they were ugly and uncomfortable. After a long drawn out battle between mom and daughter, she finally put them on. After a few minutes, she asked if she could keep them because they were so warm and cozy. You can't win!
She was feeling pretty nervous until someone brought her a blue horse. She immediately named it Blue Belle, but sometimes calls it Rudolph. She loves that horse and I was so grateful for it because it made the difference for her experience. They even let her take it back to surgery with her and it was there as she was recovering.
The surgery took about 30 minutes. They brought me in as she was waking up. She didn't cry, but was very groggy. I held her and she fell asleep in my arms for about 1 1/2 hours. Then, I thought I was going to pass out from sitting so still in that hard chair and had to move her back to her bed. She woke up and ate a popsicle and drank some water (the nurse also brought me some orange juice, thank you!) And they deemed her fit to go home.She got to ride in a wheelchair out to the car since I couldn't carry her. She thought that that was pretty fun and wanted to bring the wheelchair home with us. On the way home, she threw up in the car. I wasn't too surprised with the anesthetic on board and her problem with motion sickness.
The doctor warned me that she might be in pain and very sleepy all day. But boy was he wrong. She felt great and played and played all day as if nothing had happened. What a tough kid. Yesterday, she had a little less energy, but her biggest complaint is not being able to eat whatever she wants to. I thought that she would love eating ice cream and popsicles all day, but I guess it gets old after a little while.
She is taking it easy now and watching lots of tv. Her throat is swollen (which has changed her voice) and she is in a little pain, but overall she is such a strong, resilient kid. I am proud of her and how brave she has been.
Thank you for all of the support and love from friends and family over the past couple of days. We have truly appreciated all that you do for our family!



3 comments:
We took out my daughters tonsils when she was 5. Best thing we ever did. She had huge tonsils too and was not sleeping well. She did have a very high voice for awhile but it to returned to normal. Hope she continues to recover quickly and smoothly. Emma liked yogurt and vanilla Carnation breakfast while recovering. Good luck;-)
Glad it went okay. The PJ's and the horse stuff cracked me up. You just never can tell what kids will love. see you soon! (I'm thinking we'll shoot for leaving UT on the 11th. More details to come...)
Glad everything went okay! And you look great too!
Post a Comment