Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Correction

Okay, so I must make a statement about my last post.
Thanks Rebecca for helping me understand St. Patrick's Day a little better. I had to enter this new post to make up for my embarrasing lack of knowledge and make sure that no one else read the post wondering how I could be so dumb! If it isn't obvious from the title of the holiday (and for some reason it got past me!), it actually has a lot to do with Jesus and religion.
As Rebecca said: "Actually, St. Patrick's Day has a lot to do with Jesus! It celebrates St. Patrick, who brought Christianity into parts of Ireland. He used the shamrock to explain to people about the Holy Trinity. Anyway, here's a website in case you are interested in more info...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick%27s_Day#Celebration_overview"
For those of you, like me, who have celebrated this holiday without really knowing why (and I am Irish and had a sister serve an LDS mission in Ireland), this has been very helpful. I know that it will be a little easier to celebrate this holiday next year with my girls since I can actually talk about it with a little more conviction.
Oh, and Halloween with its association to All Saints Day, also has religious ties.
Even a 30 year old can be taught! Love you Rebecca!

1 comment:

Karyn said...

Ha! You did better than I did explaining it to your daughter. I just told Brennan you wear green or you get pinched. He refused to wear green. That's my boy! Has his own mind. Thanks for the info on St. Patrick's Day...I didn't know about it either.