Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tahitian Girls

I found this material in my closet yesterday as I was sorting and organizing. I had to put it on the girls so we could more fully appreciate their Tahitian heritage. Miki's mother is from Tahiti, so the girls are a quarter Tahitian. You can see it a little more in Kylie than in Sadie. I think they look beautiful in their island girl attire. Kylie is even practicing her dancing.
I got this material from my grandmother when she passed away. She and my grandfather went on a service mission for our church to Tahiti when my mom was 17 or 18 years old. They helped build a church school over there and got to know many of the people, including Miki's grandfather and grandmother. My mom was able to visit them for 3 months and loved every minute of it. When I was growing up, I always heard stories about Tahiti, saw beautiful pictures and enjoyed all of the souvenirs that they brought back with them.
I love the fact that I ended up marrying someone that is Polynesian and that our grandparents had even met on a small island in the middle of the Pacific so long ago.
I hope that someday we will be able to take the girls to Tahiti so they can see the wonderful culture and their heritage. I would also love to meet Miki grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins, although I think there will be a slight language barrier.

2 comments:

Leah and James Bangert Family said...

They both look absolutely beautiful. And I sure felt something strong reading your post. I think the Spirit touched me, it sure brought tears to my eyes.

Angela said...

Oh, I do love the island girl dresses. Kylie is going to be a dancer just like her mom.