Sunday, May 6, 2012

Easter 2012

 On the day before Easter, our Church put on a big Easter Egg Hunt for the kids.  It started off at 8:00 in the morning with a potluck breakfast.  Then, at 8:20 they let the kids loose to hunt for eggs.  The little babies and toddlers looked for eggs in the swing set sand pit.  It was very easy for them and self contained.  Then they let the kids 3-6 start looking and the older kids had to wait a couple of minutes.  I was torn!  Lanie was in the age group in the sand pit, Sadie would be with the younger kids and Kylie would wait to hunt with the older kids.  But how do I take pictures of all of them at the same time?  I had a plan!  I decided to stand halfway between all of the areas and get some use out of my zoom.  Miki stayed with Lanie while I tried to take pictures.  I got one of Lanie and then Sadie started throwing a tantrum because she wanted me to go with her.  I said "no" because that would ruin my picture taking plan!  Sadie just sobbed and sobbed.  I ended up having her just sit and watch all of the kids and I felt betrayed because I couldn't get the pictures I wanted.
 I did get these two of Kylie after she got her eggs and of her pushing Lanie on a swing.  But only after Miki stepped in.
 He walked over to Sadie, picked her up and took her out to the eggs.  She immediately calmed down and found more than her fair share and had a great time.  What is my problem!  Why was it so difficult for me to put down the camera and save the 5 year old in need?  After Miki walked off with her and I was left standing there watching the miracle of his gentle ways with her, I remembered that this is my sensitive child that has a hard time trying anything new, let alone racing every other kid to try and grab the most eggs filled with candy AND she is only 5!
 It is a good lesson to learn that each child is different and that we can find the perfect way to help and nurture and teach each child.  I am grateful that Miki could see what I couldn't in that moment and come to Sadie's rescue.
 I apologized to Sadie for my insensitivity to her needs and then the rest of the day was a blast!  The girls are showing off their eggs here.
 The next day, Miki had to work and he wanted to participate in the egg basket hunt and egg hunt at home.  So, we decided to do it on Saturday evening.  I actually really enjoyed this because it left Easter Sunday as a day that we talked about our Savior and his atonement and resurrection, went to church and sang songs about Jesus Christ, and learned more about how He has done everything to save us.  We spent time together making crafts and decorating eggs.  And we felt no pressure to keep up with all the fancy Easter traditions.  It was a peaceful and appropriate way to spend this important holiday.

The girls looked for their Easter baskets and here they are showing off what they found.
 Lanie got a Dora coloring book, crayons, an Elmo book and a Pez dispenser.
 Kylie got some stickers, a huge Reese's egg, a Pez dispenser, a couple of Easter crafts and some bunny ears (that were broken... oops!)
 Sadie got some bunny glasses, a Superhero coloring book, a Pez dispenser, a Reese's egg and an Easter craft.
 Then on to the Easter egg hunt.  The eggs were just hidden around downstairs.  We usually have this part outside, but it was too dark by this time.
 Lanie would find an egg, open it, yell out "Yummy!", take out the candy and drop the two halves of the egg and run off to find another "Yummy!" 
We have a candy bowl that has a little chick as the lid.  This little chick "cheep, cheep, cheeps" when you lift the lid.  It has always come in handy so we know when someone is trying to sneak some candy.  But this year, it brought trouble.  It didn't take Lanie very long to realize what was hidden under the chick lid and to associate the cheep cheep sound with candy.  Anytime she would hear the chick cheeping, Lanie would yell out "gummy!" (Her word for jelly beans) and come running.  She could hear that little chick from anywhere in the house.  I think she has super hearing and was just waiting all day long for someone to try sneak some candy so that she would get her break and they would cave and give her some too.  Miki got to the point where he would yell really loud as he was opening up the candy jar to try and mask the cheep, cheeping. 
I always love the looks of excitement on my girls' faces during the holidays.  Everything is so much fun and such a big deal.  It is a great lesson to learn from our kids.  We need to appreciate the little things.

No comments: